The Louisiana State Bar Association recently held its 37th Annual Pro Bono Publico & Children’s Law Awards Ceremony at the Louisiana Supreme Court in New Orleans.
Elizabeth “Liz” A. Betz, of Baton Rouge, received the Career Public Interest Award.
Mary Ann McGrath Swaim, of Houma and The Advanced Advocacy Project of Baton Rouge received the Children’s Law Award.
Adreaynne N. HutchisonLSU’s Paul M. Hebert Law Center; Devon J ClancyLoyola University Law School; Christopher M. Jordan, Southern University Law Center; and Jacob D. EdwardsTulane University Law School, won the Law Student Pro Bono Award.
George “Dave” D. Ernest III, of Lafayette, and Paula K. Woodruff Family Law Section, de Lafayette, won the Friend of Pro Bono award.
Lauren M. Barletta, from New Orleans; Karen “Kasi” Colleen Brannan of Covington; Laura Peterson Butler, from Denver; William J. Faustermann Jr., of Slidell; Johanna HR Fini, of Baton Rouge; Scott P. Gaspard, of Baton Rouge; James S. Knight, of Franklinton; Paulette Porter La Bostrie, of Baton Rouge; and Sarah A. Simmons, de Lafayette, won the Pro Bono Publico award.
Amber C. Sheppard, by Slidell, won the LA.FreeLegalAnswers.org award.
W. Scott Brown, from New Orleans; Robert William Knights, de Mandeville; Gregory J. Reda, from New Orleans; and Gary J. Williams, by Slidell, won the Pro Bono Century Club award.
J. McHugh Davidpublisher and editor of The Livingston Parish News in Denham Springs, was named president of the Louisiana Press Association.
David is the 116th president of the 140 Years Association, the official trade organization for Louisiana news publishers.
The others who took office were:
President-elect Mary TerrySoutheast region general manager for Louisiana State Newspapers and publisher of The Teche News (St. Martinville), The St. Mary and Franklin Banner-Tribune, The Daily-Review (Morgan City), and The Bayou Pioneer (Pierre Part ).
Secretary Treasurer Steve Colwellmanaging director of the Natchitoches Times and Natchitoches Times newspapers.
Sam Hanna Jr.president and publisher of The Ouachita Citizen (West Monroe), will serve as Past President.
Were elected to three-year terms on the Board of Directors Shanna Dickensgeneral manager of The Daily Iberian (New Iberia) and Dan Phelanpresident and publisher of the Lake Charles American Press.
Continue to sit on the Board of Directors:
- Dan SheaCEO of Georges Media Group, which operates The Advocate, The Times-Picayune, St. Tammany Farmer (Covington), St. Francisville Democrat and The Watchman (Clinton)
- Forman Garlandnorthern region general manager for Louisiana State Newspapers and publisher of The Ville Platte Gazette, Basile Weekly, The Kinder Courier News, Oakdale Journal, The Richland Beacon News (Rayville), The Caldwell Watchman (Columbia), The West Carroll Gazette (Oak Grove) and The Tensas Gazette (St. Joseph)
- Mark RichardVice President/Director of Newspaper Service Co. which publishes the Ruston Daily Leader and Jennings Daily News
- Judi Terzotispublisher of The Advocate, The Times-Picayune, St. Tammany Farmer (Covington), St. Francisville Democrat and The Watchman (Clinton)
- Darrel Guillorypublisher of Eunice News and COO of Louisiana State Newspapers, which publishes more than 20 Louisiana newspapers
- Randy Browneditor of The Bossier Press-Tribune